Do you know that shiitake mushroom is good for our body? It is high in fiber but low in calories. It also packs with vitamins, minerals, and other health-promoting compounds. Studies have claimed that shiitake mushroom could even help strengthen our immune system and also good for our heart. Benefits aside, it also tastes great!
On today post, we are going to make stuffed mushroom with shiitake mushroom. A recipe that we recently created by accident, with some leftover ingredients in our fridge. It taste surprising nice and the missus and I thought we should share this in our post.
For the filling, we are using mix of shrimp and minced pork. Why you might ask? Well~ we have some leftover shrimps and minced pork in our fridge, so that was why. Joke aside, mixing both shrimp and pork is not new. It is rather common in Chinese cuisine such as dumplings (gyoza), deep fried meat balls, shumai, and etcetera. Thus when we had mushrooms, shrimps, and minced pork sitting in our fridge, the thought of making stuffed mushroom just occurred.
We have the mushrooms and the filling, all we need now is to steam it until cooked and we are done! However, something is missing. Most of our recipe needs gravy to go with rice. So we took the juice that appeared while steaming the mushroom and pair with some chicken stock. With some seasoning and the gravy was born.
A plate of stuffed mushroom was enough for both of us as dinner (if you are being lazy like us). The gravy goes well with the rice and stuffed mushrooms taste surprisingly umami.
If you are interested in making this stuffed mushrooms, we have it all written down below. Try it and let us know~
- Sauce pan
- 7-8 Shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup Chicken stock
- 2 tsp Potato starch
- 1 tsp Ginger juice
- 1 Spring onion (finely chopped)
- 100 g Shrimp
- 50 g Minced pork
- 1 tsp Potato starch
- 1 tsp Ginger juice
- 1 Egg yolk
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Sugar
- Dash of pepper
- We are using fresh shiitake mushroom. If you are using dried shiitake, hydrate it first. Cut the stems out and rinsed it. season it with some pepper and salt. set it aside for now
- Deshell the shrimps.
- Rinse the shrimps under tap water and pat it dry. Put them in a bowl and add 1 tsp of potato starch in. Mix it well.
- Bring them to a chopping board, finely chop them into paste.
- Mix the shrimp paste and minced pork in a mixing bowl.
- Season it with 2tsp salt, 2tsp sugar, dash of pepper, and 1 tsp ginger juice. Crack and egg and scoop the egg yolk into the bowl.
- Mix them well.
- Now, time for stuffing. Bring the mushrooms out. Stuff the filling onto all the mushrooms caps. Be sure to press it firmly.
- Place them in a plate and steam them for about 10 minutes.
- The stuffed mushrooms will be readied after 10 minutes. Some juice would form after steaming. It would be used for making the gravy so scoop it up.
- In a sauce pan, add 1/4 cup of chicken stock and the the mushroom juice mentioned above. Boil it.
- Season it with a bit of salt, sugar, ginger juice, and pepper. Mix them well
- Dilute 2tsp of potato starch with a bit of water. Pour it into the gravy to thicken it. Mix them well.
- Finally, pour the gravy onto the stuff mushroom.
- Top it with some spring onion and we are done. Enjoy your stuffed mushroom.