When I was young, sizzling hot plate tofu (铁板豆腐) has always been my go to dish when we had dinner outside. Especially when it come with egg tofu. Even until now, I would still order hot plate tofu every time the missus and I had our dinner outside.
There is this one restaurant near our place which serves the best sizzling hot plate tofu. Wait.. Taste is a rather subjective topic so allow me to rephrase my sentence to one of the best sizzling hot plate tofu in town. How good you might wonder? Well, we would often just order a hot plate tofu and eat it with bowl of rice. With nothing else. It’s that good!
The reason why I think the specified restaurant made one of the best tofu is because they added a secret ingredient into their dish. The secret ingredient is salted fish. To be frank, it was not even a secret cause the salted fish smell and taste would easily give it away.
With just a twist, a simple dish was turned into something extraordinary. Some might argue that salted fish are not their thing because it has a pungent smell and too salty to the taste. However, with a just hint amount, it would not be strong enough to cover other flavours. Savoury is what I would describe.
So, today we are going to show you our recipe and our take on sizzling hot plate tofu. Minus the hot plate because we do not have a hot plate at home. However, we are going to replace it with a not stick pan just to mimic the hot plate tofu that we always have in restaurant.
Tofu with minced meat and salted fish
- non stick pan
- Cooking pan or wok for stir frying
- Pot for deep frying the tofu
- 150-200 g Egg tofu (or pressed tofu)
- 50-100 g Minced meat (pork or chicken)
- 10 g Salted fish (tenggiri is preferable or mackerel in English)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 Eggs
- 1 stalk Spring onion
For the sauce
- 1 tsp Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Thicken soy sauce
- 2 tsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine (or sake)
- 50 ml Water
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- Dash of white pepper
- First we slice the tofu into bite size. We are using egg tofu thus our tofu look like a thick coin after sliced.
- Roughly chop the salted fish into small pieces
- Finely chop the garlic and ginger.
- Also, do the same with spring onion and set them all aside.
- Now for the sauce. Mix oyster sauce, thicken soy sauce, shaoxing wine, oyster sauce, water, and cornstarch in a bowl.
- We would start by frying the tofu in a pot of oil until golden brown.
- When the tofu is done. heat a bit of oil in a wok or pan and fry the salted fish until almost golden brown.
- Add both garlic and ginger in. Stir fry until fragrant.
- Add the minced pork or chicken in. Stir fry them until they are no longer pink in colour.
- Add the premade sauce in and let it cook until the meat is done.
- Add the fried tofu in and give it a few toss. The minced meat and salted fish tofu is done.
- Now, heat a bit of cooking oil in a non stick pan on medium high heat.
- When the pan is hot enough, whisk 2 eggs in a bowl and pour it into the pan.
- The egg would cooked in seconds. Place the cooked tofu on top of it and sprinkle some spring onion on top. We are all done!