For us, sandwich ham is best served with toast. Occasionally we will add an egg and some lettuce to transform it into a proper sandwich. What if you just want a snack and you have only hams sitting in your fridge? Ham katsu is the way to go~
Inspired by Netflix series midnight dinner, ham katsu is a simple dish that everyone can make at home. It is literally ham coated with flour, egg, bread crumbs and being deep fried to perfection. All you need are ham, flour, egg, and bread crumbs to make a decent ham katsu. Of course, do not forget about cooking oil as it is essential for deep frying.
Ham itself has a very meaty and tender texture. It will taste good if we just eat it straight from the package, or even pan fried. However, adding an extra layer of deep-fried breadcrumb on the outside gives it an extra crispy crunch when you take a bite. Transformed it into an irresistible snack.
Ham katsu will always be our snacking choice when we are having a movie night at home. Besides, I bet kids will love them too! Maybe I will make one for my nephew when he visit us next time 😊 .
Ham Katsu (ハムカツ)
- Wok or pot (for deep frying)
- 4 pcs Ham (pork or chicken, your choice)
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbsp All purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumb (Japanese Panko)
- Enough cooking oil for deep frying
- We start by slicing the ham in half diagonally. In other words, make them into right angle shape.
- Get 3 plates. Fill one with flour, another one with a beaten egg, and the last one with breadcrumbs.
- Take one ham, first coat it with flour,
- Then follow by egg.
- And finally breadcrumb. Make sure it is well coated with breadcrumbs. Do the same for the rest of the ham.
- Heat enough cooking oil to 170 degree Celsius. Fry 1-2 pieces at a time until they are golden brown.
- Serve it with some salad.